Chickens stolen in robbery

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Why and Dotte, May 27, 2010.

1. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=161476

The
    owners of the Feed Mill are being asked repeatedly, "Where are the chickens?" Right now, no one knows the answer. The small business is still recovering from a burglary Sunday evening.

Walking into the Feed Mill in Albion Illinois is like stepping back in time. It still operates much like it did when it was built in the 1950's. The sound of clucking chickens still welcome visitors. But the chickens have fallen silent stolen in a small town crime spree. "They either could end up at an animal auction. Those hens are two months from laying. They would bring $10 to $15 a piece," said Feed Mill Owner Earl Reid.

Eleven chickens disappeared along with several boxes of sodas and the cash register was cleaned out. Ironically, the town's sheriff was the first customer Monday morning. Officials say, the Feed Mill is one of four businesses burglarized. The thieves got in by breaking windows, which Earl says will cost more to repair than to replace the stolen property.

Earl would like to believe an animal got the chickens rather than a thief. But he admits an animal hasn't broken into the coop in more than 5-years. "I pretty much just leave everything sitting out and basically assume no one will take it. It's getting worse and worse they will especially take scrap metal," he said.

The Feed Mill is one of only a handful of locally owned feed dealers in Illinois, most have been taken over by large chains.

The family business has no employees, no security camera's and no alarm system. Earl says he often leaves the doors unlocked so people can get what they need and pay him when they have the money. He says the most valuable thing he lost in this burglary was trust.

On the news he said they were just about to reach laying age, poor guy. I had never thought about someone stealing chickens, apparently they've had a crime spree lately, hopefully they catch whoever is doing it.
    I saw the cage and it looked secure from what they showed, similar to cattle panel on the outside(smaller squares) and chicken wire on the inside, with all 11 gone I don't know what else it could have been.
    Just thought I would share, I need to stop watching news! [​IMG]

2. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    That's sad. It just goes to further prove how bad society has gotten, and continues to get. So sad. Chickens? Seriously? I hope those girls don't end up eaten. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by