chickens stop laying eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nychickenman55, Nov 20, 2013.

1. nychickenman55

nychickenman55 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Upstate New York
    Chickens have stopped laying eggs. Not much has changed in lifestyle. Last winter they continued to lay eggs all winter with just a little decline in eggs. Any ideas.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    How old are your hens? Around 16-18 months of age they start their annual molt which can last anywhere from 10 weeks to 6 months. This usually happens when the days turn colder and the days get shorter. Some can lay eggs well into their molt while others will stop as soon as they start to molt. You can add extra protein to help aid in the molting process (cat food, black oil sunflower seeds, beans). They will resume laying eggs when their molt is finished.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with the above, it's normal. Chickens usually lay through the first winter, then at the 18ish month mark molt and take the winter off. By then, they've been laying over a year straight and need a break.

5. I only have 8 hens, 7 I got as chicks last spring. They have been off laying. (even my neighbors hens are off laying). I got maybe 1 egg every 3 days, if that. This last week I've been adding vitamins and electrolytes, (I got from my local feed store), to one of their water dispensers and in the morning when I give them their laying feed I've put a small amount of water on the pellets and then sprinkled it with cayenne pepper. My people at the feed store suggested the cayenne pepper. I got 4 eggs today, one the day before and 4 the day before that, and I was thrilled. I also noticed the ones laying are the ones with the bright red combs.

6. shantelren

shantelren New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    Kootenays
    I was wondering the same thing. I have 4 girls, approx. 7-8 months old now. They've been steady layers, until this winter rolled around. I had good egg production while it was in a cold snap, but now it's warmed up, they don't venture out, and they don't lay.
    It's been a good week and a bit with no eggs.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I put in a warming light, to keep it warmer in their coop, I also have a water warmer to prevent water from freezing. My feed store also suggested vitamins in their water since they aren't going out much right now, which I add to it. They won't even go out for scratch, or grits, or any veggies I take out for them! But we still want these eggs :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by