chickens stopped eating grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kerilou, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Kerilou

Kerilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    My young flock (about 17 weeks) have seemed to turn their noses (or beaks) up at their grower! THey eat the cracked corn I give them, but not the grower.. is it that they prefer the cracked corn? Can I start them on layer pellets? I think I am spoiling them with the corn too much and now they don't want their grower! UGH! Advice?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Kerilou!

I'll bet you're right....spoiling your little feathery friends! [​IMG] Corn is like candy to a chicken. It's soooo tasty to them, but really doesn't provide alot of nutritional value. So what I would do, is buy the layer feed, and cut out the corn for a while. Believe me, they'll eat when they're hungry. 17 weeks is a good age to start with the layer feed, as it won't be long until you get those first eggs!

Now, I'm not sure what area you're from, but if you have cold winters, then that's when the cracked corn or scratch is handy. A couple of handfuls before bedtime, and it helps raise the body temps, which helps the hens cope with those cold nights.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

3. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    Thanks, Sharon! I am on the Canadian border of NY by Lake Champlain..VERY COLD! LOL
    I am bummed, I just bought a new bag of grower a couple days ago!! I will cut the corn out and see if they will get through the bag of grower...then switch to layer next..leave it to me to spoil my chickens..lol
    and thank you SO MUCH! Your post was so helpful!
    Nice to meet ya!
    Keri

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Pleasure to meet you too Keri, and I'm so happy to lend a hand! Take care!

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Cracked corn to chickens is what candy is to kids--they'll eat it over anything else and it'll spoil their appetite for dinner.

Ellenburg Depot--one of the great little trout streams runs right through town--used to fish it often back in the 1950's.

6. Lifestyle Lift Journey

Lifestyle Lift Journey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Chickens are smart enough to only pick what they like to eat. The cut corn might be eaten first and they might leave the rest, but they are not stupid to starve themselves. so keep trying at it.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:You might be giving chickens credit for more intelligence than they have. I'd cut out the corn, unless you're trying to fatten them for sale, they don't really need it--as a "get 'em to do what I want" treat, okay, but not as a regular part of their diet.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  8. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    Quote:They have started eating their grower again...lol...everything in moderation, right?

The Great Chazy River? That is so cool that you are familiar with Ellenburg Depot! Did you live here, or just visit? My Dad grew up here, I was raised on a dairy farm and he was in the FFA back in the 50's. Now my son is in 10th grade and is a huge fan of the FFA and all of his agriculture classes at school.
    Nice to meet you!
    Keri

9. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Keri-

Good to hear your little spoiled kids are eating their grower food again! [​IMG]

10. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I know this is a very dated post, but I just want to say thank you it helped me feel better and to know what the issue is. I had a feeling my chickens were holding out until I give them scratch/BOSS--- they havent eaten their feed in 2 days. I stopped the treats and am hoping they will eat their feed soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by