Chickens stopped laying 2 months ago

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barchicken, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Barchicken

Barchicken New Egg

Jul 25, 2015
    I live in Arizona and my 4 chickens just suddenly stopped laying about 2 months ago. At first I thought it was due to the stress of our tiny poodle finding a way to get into the coop and taking the bread we have been giving the chickens. I secured every entry place and she has not been in there for over a month. But they still have not started back up laying. When it first started they were molting too so it was not unusual at the time. But is it normal to last more than 2 months. It has never been that way before. They get through the miserable hot summers just fine but then fall apart when the weather is nice? I am confused at that.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Molts can last month's with some birds. This year molting seems to be slower and more drawn out. Most hens don't resume until December until March, so a break longer than 2 months is normal.

Keeping up proper nutrition can help birds molt quickly and get back to laying. Bread isn't a good thing to feed daily. A good ration with 18-20% protein seems to be the best.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by