Chickens Stopped Laying ! Any suggestions Why ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Ok,

I have a SLW, An Australorp that was supposed to be a Jersey Giant, and a Leghorn, all in 1 flock..All but the Leghorn, decided to stop laying last week.
    They are over 1.5 years old.

In a another flock, theres a Partridge Rock and her SF Roo. She stopped the same time . I was only getting about 2/week from her anyway.
    She is also over 1.5 yrs old.

In the last of the oldest flock I have 3 ducks ( Huge laying machines, BTW...LOL), and a Barred Rock.

Now, she is also 1.5 yrs plus..

I Had another Barred Rock, her hatch mate, that I lost ,tragically , to drowning when she fell in to the ducks kiddie pool that she had been raised around since she was a chick. It was such a fluke .

Now, the Barred Rock literally stopped laying the day after this happened and has Not laid since , and this was June 15..
    She is perfect, physically. At first we were afraid of her being eggbound , but shes not.

I started wondering if the stress of what happened, caused her to stop.

Is that possible?

Any thoughts as to why the girls stopped laying, is needed and would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, None of these hens are molting, either.

And, could someone tell me what color Millie Fleur D'Uccle's lay? I have her, a black silkie, blue splash silkie, 2 white silkies and 2 mottled cochins, all the same age. I found their 1st egg yesterday that was about the size, or a little larger, than a Robin egg !!

I have been very surprised about how Unfriendly and skittish , Silkies are..Oh my, they totally freak out when I walk in their run, and just the Slightest movement, sends them scattering like little roaches when the light is turned on..LOL

I handled these little guys since the day after they were born, with nothing but love, but they are still so unfriendly.

I dont know if anybody else has unfriendly Silkies, or is it just me?

Sorry for the questions, but its been a long time since I posted, so alot has happened that needs to be addressed.

Thanks guys..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out the sticky at the top of this section: "Why aren't my chickens laying." You will find the many possibilities listed. It's not at all unusual for them to take a break this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by