Chickens stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leinweber213, Sep 13, 2016.

1. leinweber213

leinweber213 New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Hi.. This is my second year having chickens. For some reason 3 days ago they all stopped laying eggs. I am not sure why? We did have a duck that randomly died in the coop. We cleaned the whole coop and looked all the chickens over and they look fine. They are all acting normal. We even tried locking them in the coop to see if that would help cause they are free range chickens.. (It's a fenced in acre) but we have looked every where to see if they are laying anywhere else. Does anyone have any suggestions or no why they could have all stopped laying together?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    First off welcome to BYC Lien we're glad to have you with us. That might be why they stopped laying. Chickens and other poultry can be very sensitive to changes such as losing a flock member and many other things such as adding new birds to your flock, changing feed, or maybe a predator has been around the coop at night.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd say that the best place to post your question is on the Chicken behaviours and egg laying forum.

Good luck

CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are your birds entering a molt?

5. leinweber213

leinweber213 New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Not that I no of. We have 4 birds that are 1 yr and the others this is their first season laying. We haven't had any problems with them when I change the bedding or anything like that. And last year with season change ( which def isn't yet here in Indiana it's still very warm and there is direct sun all day) th chickens slowly started to stop. This just all the sudden happened with every one of the chickens right after the duck died. I just want to make sure that it might just be stress from the duck dying or if I should be giving them some kind of medicine? And how long does this normally last? Today is day 4 with no eggs from any chicken.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you with us. Hope you find the answers you seek on BYC. Best of luck.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by