Chickens Stopped laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladyomaha, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    We got some Pullets this summer, Easter Eggers.... and they were laying eggs, when we brought them home, Thought we would lock them up with our EE Roo, and get eggs, as soon as we locked them up they stopped laying. So we turned them Loose with that rooster, and locked up the other Rooster (cause the fight), and they have been on the loose for over a month now, and Still No eggs. My other Chickens (silkie, Buff orphanton, Leghorn, Frizzles) Are all laying But no Easter Eggers, and ideas Why or if we just totally P'd them off they aint gonna lay for us now?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Also take into consideration the change in season.
    During the winter, most hens either stop laying or they slow down.
    I used to get 3 eggs/day from my 3 EE's; now I'm only getting 1 egg/day on good days.
    With all the changes your's have been through with being locked up/not locked up; they just need a little more time to get readjusted.

[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

By "loose" do you mean they are not in a fenced run?

Move a chicken and they'll stop laying, due to shock of change, for a week sometimes. However, there's more likely at play here. Perhaps you can clarify.
    If they weren't cooped up or at least cooped/fenced run kept for a few weeks, they never got the chance to zero in on that being "home" and home being where the nesting boxes are and where they should lay. If they were allowed free range upon arrival, they often times find a place out "yonder" and make "that" their new nesting "home". Just sayin'.

Can you fill in some details?

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    We had them Cooped up with a Run, so they werent just in a Coop per- Sae', now they have Free Range on the farm, but go in the Big Coop at night, I have hunted high and low to see if they are laying Else where, but nothing. All the Coops they have been in have Nesting Boxes.

5. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Depending on where they are in the pecking order in the new coop, them might not be getting as much food as they were before, they also might be filling up on greenery and other things they find while free ranging...it takes A LOT of protien to make an egg!! We had to up our feed earlier this year cause our girls stopped laying...took about a week and they were right back to laying!! We also started feeding them and leaving them locked in the coop for about 30 minutes in the morning...hoping they'd fill up on their feed before they get out and eat all the grass and other goodies they scratch up!! I suspect their may be several causes for them to stop laying, could be weather, change in environment, feed issues, hiding eggs, etc...my husband and I were convinced our girls were laying somewhere else and did several egg hunts...never finding anything. Luckily, ours was solved with boosting up their feed! Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by