Chickens stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aquaman05, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I have 2 chickens that has stopped laying eggs. It's been about 6 weeks. White egg layers kinda small white with feathers that stand up on head and they can fly pretty good. Sorry I forget the breed name.
    They are at the bottom of pecking order as well. Anything I should be worried about ? Est on age is 10 months.

Thanks for looking

2. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hens can stop laying for a variety of reasons....molting, environmental changes, unbalanced diet, parasites or disease...so that being said, you need to start by telling us what your hens eat (beieve it or not I ran into someone on here who fed nothing but cracked corn and couldn't figure out why her hens' laying habits were so poor) Make sure they are getting free choice calcium or layer feed and plenty of fresh clean water. Are they molting? (A.K.A there are a crapton more feathers floating around than usual and the hens look partially bald) Most first year hens don't molt, but my Americauna is right now and she's about the same age. Have you moved or moved them recently? And lastly be sure to check for signs of parasites. Grab one of your birds and sit down with her, she won't struggle so much if you turn her on her back, and then pull her feathers apart so you can see her skin and examine her for mites or lice. Pay attention to poo...it's gross but if your hens have worms that are not controlled it can affect their laying. Lastly, be mindful in observing their behavior....are they doing anything that is abnormal? Lethargic? Not eating well? I hope this gives you a good start, there are probably more threads on here about others' hens not laying that may also be helpful. Good luck!

3. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for helping

Everything seems to be fine so I'm not sure what's going on

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh I forgot to mention.....as we move into winter the amount of daylight shortens which can also affect laying. Chickens typically need about 16 hours of daylight to lay. Most first year layers continue regardless of the light change, but it's not 100% true all the time, each hen is a bit different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by