chickens stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emilyschartz, Dec 3, 2013.

1. emilyschartz

emilyschartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Its now been seven days since I have gotten any eggs. Its been nice weather except for today...the winter storm is coming and its getting cold. When I was getting eggs I was getting five a day(and I have five chickens). i've been getting eggs since they were 4 months old and now they are just turning 8 months old. Why did they stop laying? How can I get them to start laying eggs again?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    They stop laying because the light is changing, the days are getting shorter and Mother Nature is telling them winter is coming. Some breeds continue to lay to an extent, as we go into winter, but most slow down or stop laying until spring. IIAlthough cold is a factor, light is a bigger one. Here, we do not encourage them keep laying through the winter, although some will anyway, because I think they deserve a break from laying and they need to conserve their resources to combat the cold. If you want to encourage them to continue laying, you can try leaving a light on for them later into the evening, which in effect, extends their day. But don't worry, they will make up for it in spring. I don't know where you are, but if the weather stays mild, they may lay occasionally as the winter progresses, just not every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by