1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by parasapper, Nov 14, 2015.

1. parasapper

parasapper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2015
    I had 5 now 4 RIR about 7 months old. They have been laying now for awhile. I was getting 3-5 eggs a day. I recently had a opossum kill and injured another about 2 weeks ago. I neutralized the problem and fixed the hole where it entered the run. The one injured hen is healing nicely. They are all back to normal but I only get 1 egg about every other day. Any reason for this or thoughts on how to fix?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    The cause is the stress of an attack - the repro system is the first to be shut down anytime a bird needs to direct resources elsewhere (illness) or their body has been through a stressor (moving, additions/removals from the flock, an attack on the flock, etc). The fix is, unfortunately, time.

1 person likes this.
  3. parasapper

parasapper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2015
    So they should eventually get back to normal?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, but it may take some time...and they may not start back up until the days grow longer again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by