Chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rjcoats, Nov 15, 2016.

1. rjcoats

rjcoats New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi,
    I have 19 chickens.
    5 are > 5 years old. Brown egg layers. Last year layed an egg every other day or so.
    10 are 2 1/2 years old. White Egg Layers. I believe they are white leghorns. Smaller chickens, LARGE white egs.
    4 are less than one year, and are laying large brown eggs, of the 4 I get 2 or 3 a day right now. every day.

Of 10 white ones, I may get one or maybe two white eggs every two, and up to 3 days apart. So I am only getting 3 or 4 eggs a day out of 19 chickens.

The background:
    They are all in a pen. Uncovered. Large enough for all of them. Have cover and a roost and 3 boxes for laying.
    The Older brown layers are are just that. Old. Never gave me one every day since I acquired them a year ago.
    But the white ones started giving me eggs 4 months after I put them in. At the time I had 15 chickens, and got as many as from 10 to 14 a day. 7 a day was a bad day, and usually when they molted.

I live in Middle Arkansas south of little rock. Malvern.
    Back in April of 2016, this year, we had a storm with strait line winds that fell a very large tree and demolished the pen. None of the chickens got hurt. amazing. but were traumatized I know.
    We had to house them temporarily for a week while I built another pen.
    That's the one they are in now and have been since late April.

They were laying eggs for a while, but I have never gotten over 7 in one day since then. and now, I think some are molting, but i'm getting nothing compared to what I was.

Is there a reason this may be happening at this time of year?
    Can they still be traumatized?

I feed them layer pellets.
    I give them Oyster shells and worm snack. Always with water. plenty shade and shelter, and even some sun during the daytime, but not a ton, as they are in amongst trees.

I just want to understand. Who knows. I may type this out and the very next day get 19 eggs..
    Thanks in advance.
    Rj Coats

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The daylight hours are going down this time of the year so all chickens will stop laying unless provided artificial light even with that they wont lay as good.

3. rjcoats

rjcoats New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    That is true, and their new pen has not been provided with that artificial light. I don't have close power to the new area yet.
    It could be that the trauma from april to summer, then molt, then less daylight just went along with each other. I'll be patient until spring and see what happens.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Rj

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You won't have to wait until spring. After the end of December, the days will begin getting longer again. I have noticed a pick up in egg laying, without adding any supplemental light, usually around the end of January at our latitude.

5. rjcoats

rjcoats New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Cool Thanks a bunch. I'll be patient. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by