chickens stopped laying

1ez

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
After our chickens came out of the molt they were laying an average of two eggs per day for five chickens. This lasted for about one month, and for the last two weeks we have not gotten one egg. Nothing has changed in their lives, they still get fed the same, and they still wander around.

Can anybody tell us what we can do? This was the first time that they molted.

Thanks

Do they have light for 14 hours a day?
How cold is it? Mine have 'lightened up' the egg laying, but it is also 9 degrees here, so I would assume that has something to do with it
Also, how old are they?

They are about two years old. we live just outside of Phoenix, Arizona. But they are just getting sunlight.

I would guess it's the hours of sunlight.

The good news is that we're on the upswing now!
smile.png

1ez,

We are near Tucson and provide 2 hours of additional sunlight in the evening & 3 hours in the morning (also keeps the crew warm). We have are getting 9 eggs/day our of 11 girls steady and some days 11 eggs out of the 11. Has to be the light as you are a little warmer than we are and most everything else very similar. I have 2-60watt bulbs burning in case one goes out. Doesn't take much. JMHO!

rocmoc n AZ

sad.png
My hens have gone on strike for three weeks! we moved them into a large winter coop, have a red light on most of the time as it has been very cold in Mich. they do not like the snow at all. I let them out of the coop if it get around 35 but they stay very close and usually go under the coop about 8' by 16' . there is dirt maybe a few weeds under there. They are definitely not happy. Will they ever start laying again? Hopefully before spring.
hit.gif
:hit

big_smile.png
Hip,Hip Hurray!!! and Merry Christmas, Our Golden orpingtons gave us 2 eggs today I think the strike is over. At least I think it was the Orps cause I went in the coop twice to day and both times an orpington was in the nest box. Yea!!!!

Back
Top Bottom