chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1ez, Dec 24, 2009.

1. 1ez

1ez New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    After our chickens came out of the molt they were laying an average of two eggs per day for five chickens. This lasted for about one month, and for the last two weeks we have not gotten one egg. Nothing has changed in their lives, they still get fed the same, and they still wander around.

Can anybody tell us what we can do? This was the first time that they molted.

Thanks

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Do they have light for 14 hours a day?
    How cold is it? Mine have 'lightened up' the egg laying, but it is also 9 degrees here, so I would assume that has something to do with it
    Also, how old are they?

3. 1ez

1ez New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    They are about two years old. we live just outside of Phoenix, Arizona. But they are just getting sunlight.

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    there most likely molting

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I would guess it's the hours of sunlight.

The good news is that we're on the upswing now! [​IMG]

6. 1ez

1ez New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    Would it help if I put on a light in the coup?

7. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    1ez,

We are near Tucson and provide 2 hours of additional sunlight in the evening & 3 hours in the morning (also keeps the crew warm). We have are getting 9 eggs/day our of 11 girls steady and some days 11 eggs out of the 11. Has to be the light as you are a little warmer than we are and most everything else very similar. I have 2-60watt bulbs burning in case one goes out. Doesn't take much. JMHO!

rocmoc n AZ

8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] My hens have gone on strike for three weeks! we moved them into a large winter coop, have a red light on most of the time as it has been very cold in Mich. they do not like the snow at all. I let them out of the coop if it get around 35 but they stay very close and usually go under the coop about 8' by 16' . there is dirt maybe a few weeds under there. They are definitely not happy. Will they ever start laying again? Hopefully before spring.[​IMG]:hit

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] Hip,Hip Hurray!!! and Merry Christmas, Our Golden orpingtons gave us 2 eggs today I think the strike is over. At least I think it was the Orps cause I went in the coop twice to day and both times an orpington was in the nest box. Yea!!!!

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Raise the feed to 20% protein and likely they'll begin laying again.

All our birds are still laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by