Chickens stopped laying.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chase2378, May 30, 2010.

1. chase2378

chase2378 New Egg

Aug 7, 2007
    I have 3 hens (they have golden-brownish-white feathers) They are about 2.5yrs old or so. They used to lay 1 egg/day, now..nuthin. Some of their feathers are coming off, but I dont think they are moulting. When do they moult and is it easy to tell? Thanks!

2. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    They probably are moulting and when they do they stop laying. When this happens to mine, it sometimes take a few weeks before they start back.

3. Alice215

Alice215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Bridgewater CT
    Mine have stopped laying too. I hope they are molting. They are just about 1 yr. old. It's been 2 weeks now. I don't know how long this will last. Not really loosing feathers either. They seem healthy but they are not earning their keep.

6 Ameraucana hens and 1, very good to his hens, rooster named Carlos, Duke the dog (that would love to be able to get in the chicken run) and a cat named Jack who shares the same sentiment as the dog.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:My chickens are having their 3rd summer, and every time they moult they stop laying for about 3-5 weeks. And they look pretty ratty during their moult. It seems like they had a moult last autumn, and they're at it again now. I wonder if changing their feed started it this time? They also just got a good vet report, their poop shows their wormless and healthy.

But when this bag of Nutrena Layer feed is done, I'm switching back to Purina Layena. Its my absolute favorite. They're gorgeous on Purina Layena, and there's no fishmeal in it, their poops are much more pleasant on the Purina.

5. madavis25

madavis25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Quote:I am having that same problem. I was going to post a new question, then I saw this thread. I have 1 each of: Araucana, RIR, Black Australorp, and Barred Plymouth Rock. Each are a year old this week. For the last 10d or so, the Barred Rock hasn't been laying. No apparent feather loss, no signs of eaten eggs. I confined them to their pen for the last 3d until 4pm, still no egg. They have access to oyster shell and she seems healthy and active.

So, I think I have ruled out moulting, egg eating, egg hiding. Any other thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by