chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmagnet34, Feb 4, 2013.

1. chickmagnet34

chickmagnet34 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    reseda ca.
    Hi i have had my chickens for about a year now the first day i brought them home only one laid an egg. I have not had any since. I brought them home around summer and they were losing some feathers. I was told that it was normal for the time of year but now it is cooler and still no eggs. Mind you they were given to me as adults . Will i ever get any eggs from them? They are free range chickens and are nice and healthy.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] As the daylength increases so will their egg production. Are you feeding them a complete layer ration?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Did the previous owners tell you how old they are? If they are free ranging they could be laying eggs but hiding them.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    Start looking around. I have been wondering when my hens would start laying again because I don't use the lights through winter. I just found one by pure accident, while preparing a kidding stall I saw Terryaki one of our best layer hanging out in some newly exposed hay bales. Went over a while later and there was an egg! I wonder how many they laid in the bales that our neighbor has already taken out? lol They drive me crazy! I have very nice and big nest boxes but noooo...

That or they are too old. The only way I know how to tell is by slaughtering them for dinner and looking at the liver. That is what I did with two of my free "2 year old" hens. I think that one was actually much older and one was about 1 1/2 years. They came from same place, pen, food, etc but one had very large unhealthy liver and the other was perfect. We only at Cranberry, the younger healthy looking one. Of course, there may be other ways to tell age. ;)

6. chickmagnet34

chickmagnet34 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    reseda ca.
    Thank you all, i clean the yard about twice a week and no breakfast. I by the sound of it think they are too old to lay. I guess we have to get some younger fowl for eggs . Would the older chickens have a problem with the younger ones who lay eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by