Chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rfusco36, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rfusco36

rfusco36 New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi I am new to chickens and have raised 30 of them from 3 days old. They all started laying in April, and I had eggs from each of them most every day until the begining of July. Now, I am only getting maybe a dozen of eggs a week?? They are free roaming and are put in at night and seem very happy. I feed them organic feed and they eat grass and bugs? Any clue as to what is wrong, they seem very healthy as well and not losing any feathers and it is now going on 2 months. I live in Florida and the days are hot but they have plenty of shade? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think your chickens are still laying the same amount, just in a different place. Whenever someone posts saying their birds quit laying, I always look for the words "free range". Hens often take it in their little brains to lay places besides the nest box. I say confine them for a few days and see how many eggs you get. Also, go on an intensive egg hunt where they range. They'll lay in places you'd never think of.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It sounds like your chickens are molting. They start molting at about 18ish months. They should stop or slow down in laying for a few months then go back up to normal production :3

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    They're at most 10 months so not molting yet. It's most likely a combination of the heat and the opportunity to lay outside when they free range. They've probably found a nice cool spot where they hang out during the heat of the day and that's where the eggs are.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. rfusco36

rfusco36 New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    we have only found a couple of eggs on the range, so has to be sommething else. Ty

6. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    My guess would also be that they are laying somewhere you haven't discovered yet. I'll bet there a nest or two out there with a LOT of eggs (unless they're being taken/eaten by other animals).

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Magpies and crows can fly off with eggs and you're non the wiser. My magpies knew what the egg song was and it was a race to get the eggs before they did.

8. rfusco36

rfusco36 New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Thank you to all the replies, I will continue to look and check for birds taking them

9. rfusco36

rfusco36 New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    update, only a couple eggs so have them quarantined for a few days

10. Chickenlady2013

Chickenlady2013 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Pickerington, OH
    I got a 16 week old Leghorn from Meyers, she layed or a month ans stopped. The others hazve continued to lay. Its been almost 3 months since she laid. I called Meyer who sid sometimes they take on characteristics of a rooster and stop laying. I think she was older than what I was told. I bought older for a readon and not getting any white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by