Chickens Suddenly Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HCFarms96, Sep 14, 2011.

1. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    I have 8 Rhode Island Red chickens.
    We get 8 eggs a day pretty regularly, sometimes 7, but mostly 8. On Sunday, they were out of feed all day because we needed to re-fill the feed bucket. I fed them more on Monday. We only got 6 eggs that day, but we figured it was because they didn't have much food on Sunday. They ran out of water yesterday and I gave them some more, but we only got 1 egg. We thought it might be from running out of water, but that has happened for a few hours before and they still layed fine afterwards. Today we only got 3 eggs.
    Can anyone tell me what's going on with them?
    Also, one of them kept laying down outside today and just didn't want to stand up. She would kinda lay there and turn her head upside-down for a little bit. So I held her on my lap and when she got down she seemed okay. But her eyes looked droopy, too.

I'm pretty worried about them.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    More information....how old are they for starters?

3. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:They are around 7-7 1/2 months.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    What has the weather been like? Has it been hot there?

5. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:Well, it was hot for awhile before we got all this rain. It had been raining for... let's say over two weeks, and they were laying fine all that time. Then it was nice for a couple days, and those were the days they didn't lay. It is rainy today, so I'm curious to see how many we will get.

6. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Have you seen any sign of a resperatory infection, like nasal discharges and sneezing? If no sign of an infection, maybe take a fecal sample to a vet and see if you have a parasite problem. You might also try to add vitamins and see if they perk up. Good luck.

7. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    Quote:No, they have not been sneezing or anything.
    What kind of vitamins should I give them?
    Thanks for helping!

8. outdoorlady

outdoorlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    quick changes in temperature can mess with the production. I have seen that happen when weather is too hot, or gets cool fast. They adapt and get right back to it. If you are certain and have checked for diseases or illness of any sort and pretty confident they are molting....mine have always gone back to laying strong when they adjust to weather changes....once they adjust to winter...i have had strong winter egg production. Good Luck...hope it is just them adjusting to weather changes. That is what is happening here again...i am winterizing my coop this week.

9. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    okay, I guess I will just have to wait and see if they pick up again after the weather decides exactly what it's doing [​IMG] I got 4 eggs today.
    Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by