Chickens Suddenly Won't Lay

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skyandpi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. skyandpi

skyandpi New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    I am new to this forum and I am not certain if this is the right thread. Anyways, we had two Golden Comets/Isa Browns that have laid almost every day. We then added several more chickens into the coop and about eight 1-2 month old chicks. For about three weeks after a heat wave (80 degrees, not too bad), the chickens haven't laid at all. Except for the two Golden Comets which have continued to lay. We were getting about 5-6 eggs a day with 7 hens and now are getting two eggs a day. The chickens are free range all day, inside a large fenced-in-yard. We do lock them all inside the coop at night due to local predators. Thanks!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Any type of stress can often cause chickens to stop laying. Not only have yours experienced hotter temperatures than they may have experienced before, but you introduced new birds. Both of those stresses combined may have been enough to cause most of your hens to stop laying. Given enough time, your hens should recover from these stresses.

Still, just to be sure there isn't any else wrong with your birds, give them a once-over. Make sure there are no hidden injuries or swellings on their bodies. Check the feathers around each bird's vent, under their hackle feathers, and under their wings feathers for any parasites. External parasites show up as small moving black specks (mites) or larger yellow blobs (lice). If they have any, treat by dusting/spraying with a mite and lice spray, such as Sevin dust. You might also consider worming your flock, just in case they have worms.

3. skyandpi

skyandpi New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Thanks! I am still curious because the good ol' Comets are still laying. Is each breed just different?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome! Yes, I would think so. Each breed, even each individual chicken, probably responds differently to stresses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by