1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens supposedly eats 150g.... T or F?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eeiko321, Mar 21, 2009.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi guys
    in every single book ive read... it states that chickens will eat up to 150g a day. and will "NOT ever eat"
    im sure everyone here has heard that quote countless times?

i think this is untrue....
    ive only got 2 hens....and they can eat all day...obviously a mixture of things.
    But it seems like..even though they will eat 150g on their daily feed...they will take watever else offered to them if it wasnt
    on the menu of what they've eaten today.

for e.g obviously they eat their chicken feed all day in the coop/run. then i feed them chopped up vegtables like Tomatoes and cucumber. this will exceed thier 150g already.
    but then ill offer them some lettuce in the afternoon, they will eat it anyway..since it wasnt on their morning menu.

then before bed time, i can feel their stomachs very full and bursting...
    if i offer them some live food like Crickets or worms...... they still lunge at it as if they havent eaten the whole day.
    must be because they want some live food for their daily intake.

so when books state that Chickens will not over eat.... i think thats inaccurate.....
    well for my chickens anyway

what are your thoughts on this?
    thanks

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The rule of thumb is 1/4 lb a day for lightweight breeds. Heavy breeds, which is what most people have, eat 1/3 more or 1/3 lb a day, depending on who you ask. That's how much commercial feed they eat. 150g is much less than that and all of my books use the same information I posted above. A pound = 2.2 kg

Commercial feed is dry and very high calorie. Things like lettuce, greens and many vegetables are mostly water and very low calorie. They're very good for the chickens because of the nutrients in them, but they don't get many calories or the protein they need.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    1/3 pound = 150 grams

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    digitS' :

1/3 pound = 150 grams

That's correct.​

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You're all right. For some reason I had that backwards yesterday. It's 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds. No wonder nothing was making sense to me when I was trying to figure that out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by