Chickens terrified

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDOGG331, Nov 14, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay so I was at a concert last night and stayed over with my mom so my dad was taking care of the chickens. Lately they've been sleeping on the roof. Well, by lately, I guess since May when we started leaving the door open. Now that it's getting colder out we put them inside on especially cold nights. Anyway, the point is they were on the coop roof since I wasn't home to put them away.

Well, when we got back today my dad says that at around 4am last night the dog woke up and started going ballistic. Ran to the kitchen doors and was going out of his mind crazy. My dad then opened the door so "you could hear his bark outside" but didn't let him outside since it was 4am and didn't wanna deal with it. He let him bark a few times then I guess shut it, idk. Anyway, when he opened it and Gator was barking, he says he heard something moving around in the woods behind the coop. Gator then refused to come back to bed. He eventually stopped barking but even after he stopped barking he wouldn't come to bed (normally he sleeps on the bed with him). He just sat in front of the door growling, my dad could here him.

Sooo we figured it must have been something pretty bad.

The other strange thing is that they were up and moving around, eating etc. At that time. Now, they usually get up when the sun comes up now that they have the freedom too, but 4am is still early and I'm pretty sure still dark so that was strange.

The other strange thing is that tonight at bedtime they just willingly went in the coop. I was out with the dog as it was getting dark when I realized they were in the coop. Now this is strange because they are ALWAYS on the roof. When I want to bring them in I have to take them off the roof after dark and put them inside and no matter how many times I do it they are on the roof again the next night.

So I figure it must have been something really scary???

We think it might be the foxes again.

Either way, I fixed the roost bars (one had fallen so they were all on one) and locked them in for the first time in months. Probably wasn't necessary but I am paranoid. I also put cinder blocks in front of the gate and a small gap in the fence and a stick in the gate lock. I figure keeping them locked in and letting them out a little later than they would like for one night is better than dead chickens. Especially since my brother took the dog tonight.

Hopefully the new coop is finished soon and they can move in

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Could be a lot of things. I would think more along the lines of something that can climb like a coon or fisher.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks! That does make more sense, especially given how they wouldn't go back on the roof.

They seemed a little bit slow coming out this morning. I just let them out at 6. I know they were up, I heard them, but they didn't come out right away. But they didn't take that long, it could have just been because they were feeling a little lazy lol I guess I'm used to seeing what happens when I let them out later than they want instead of early or on time.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to keep an eye out. Perhaps I should put something better over the top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by