Chickens that die safe for dogs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by abbyful, Dec 1, 2011.

1. abbyful

abbyful New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Not sure where to put this, since it really doesn't fit into "pets" or "meat birds" or "egg layers". Since it's about eating meat, I put it here. (Moderator, please move this if it's in the wrong place.)

I'm getting some chickens this spring (for eggs). I know they will eventually die. I feed my dogs a raw prey-model diet. Are birds that die on their own safe for canine consumption?
    (I will skin them so they don't look like chickens. I don't want to train the dogs to eat my chickens.)

I apologize if this has been asked before. I tried searching but just came up with dogs attacking chickens.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would butcher them out at a set point, cause I'd probably always wonder why they really died, if they had something my dog shouldn't eat.

I's probably easier to skin them, but if you have a plucker, I don't think leaving the skin on will make a difference to your dog, in fact, I think it'll be better. If the feathers are off and it's cut into pieces I think you'll be fine.

3. Blaineiac

Blaineiac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    I don't have any problems feeding my dogs dead birds. I lose a few meaties each batch and feed them right to the dogs. Mine understand the difference between a live one and a "flyer". I have a great dane, a heeler and a little wire hair thing. I usually have a bird or ten out when I get home, some will be drinking from the dog bowl. The dogs don't care. Sometimes one will get caught while moving the tractor and need dispatched. If it's not worth cleaning, I'll feed it right to the dogs. The dogs are the same way with the pigs. My red/blue mix heeler knows she can only bite their ankles after I cut them off. I just constantly tell them "these are mine",or "you better leave my birds alone". I try to catch them when they are thinking about going after the stock and remind them that those birds/pigs are all right. I reward them with a treat when available and they keep an eye on the store for me. I'd rather spend a little time each day on training than skinning a bird to feed to the dogs. Good luck however you do it, but I learned if you "teach them to fly" the dogs will find them anyways and will bring them back about a week later, and digging holes isn't much fun. I've read about people putting them in the trash because they can and no one will know. I believe that is the worst thing that can be done. I think feeding is a great way of disposal.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you don't mind you dogs possibly getting worms.

5. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Just wanted to mention that feeding your dogs raw food does not give them worms. I have been feeding my dogs raw for years. I have never had to worm my dogs, and I have fecal samples that I take to the vet to check. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by