Chickens that eat bread

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lablover, Jan 22, 2013.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    A relative has/had 15-20 chickens. I'm not sure what kind... they're white with black spots here and there.. They've lost quite a few to predators, but the most eggs they have ever gotten is 3 a day. I don't think they have a rooster, but they recently bought a banny roo or two. But they also feed a lot of bread too. Would this decrease their egg production? I have 5 hens and 1 roo, and I get 5 eggs a day. They eat chick starter with oyster shells on the side, and maybe a slice of bread every other day...

2. chickenladylaur

chickenladylaur Out Of The Brooder

I've never heard of bread decreasing egg production. I like to feed it to mine sometimes as a special treat. The only negative thing I have heard about it is that it can sometimes be bad for birds because it expands inside of their crop. Their low egg productions may have to do with a lot of things, sometimes its hard to narrow it down

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    if they feed enough bread and the chickens eat less of their regular feed it could. But then again it could be anything really.

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I would say the other flock's lack of eggs may be due to the flock's age? Young hens just laying or in thier first year lay exceptionally well compared to older hens. Breeds make a difference too- some are better layers than others. I feed mine bread a lot as a every other day treat. As the poster before me said- if they are eating a lot of bread they could be eating less nutritionally good food.

Tammie

5. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    THanks everyone! Well, they have been laying for less than 1 year. I wish I knew what breed they are, but they supposedly got them because they were good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by