Chickens that get loud for egg song

kulangi

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
My pullets have started to lay eggs and I have noticed that certain chickens are really quite when laying and some are really loud. My Australorp is the quietest when she lays an egg. Buff orpington is little louder but still not too loud. My welsummer is really loud when she lays an egg. I was curious which other breeds are quiet when they lay.

Last edited:
Some of mine never sing The Egg Song at all. Off the top of my head, I guess I could say the Lakenvelder doesn't, I don't think theAustralorp does, and I've never heard any of my Cochins sing it. There may be others. And I'm not really sure it's related to the breed, actually. I think it has a lot to do with environment and other layers' influence. Or not.

You are right. My Australorp actually does not sing at all. I will be curious if anyone else has welsummer and if their's get loud for laying.

Quote:

I don't know... My 5 month olds haven't started laying yet...
sad.png

Most are pretty varied. I know Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Brahmas are pretty noisy about it. Marans are relatively quiet.

If you want a hen that makes NO "egg song" what-so-ever, get a game hen.
wink.png
American Gamefowl and Oriental Gamefowl do not make the egg song. . . My Shamo pullet for example lays an egg almost every day, yet I never ever hear anything.
smile.png

So far, all my birds sing the egg song. The absolute loudest, hands down, was the leghorn before she passed away. I did notice that it has become less loud with the others now that they have been laying for several months. Bertha, our mother hen/EE, has a low/quiet voice anyway--but when she comes out of the nesting box and makes her little announcement, holy guacamole, I bet they can hear it all the way downtown at the state capitol! None of my neighbors have complained, though.

My girls also get really loud both before and after they lay for at least the first week or two after they reach POL. My Olga, American gamefowl/EE mix, has been singing the egg song at the top of her lungs since Saturday & we knew it would be soon. She laid her first egg today... beautiful, tiny, 1.4-ounce blushing-pink pullet egg! She is very small, but I am assuming that comes from her American gamefowl heritage.

This is getting interesting. So far we have three categories for egg songs for chickens and below are the results. Let us get more info about other breeds so for folks like us living in city this information can be very helpful regarding noise level.

Egg Song for Hens

Quiet Moderate Very Loud

American Game Fowl Orpington Ameraucanas
Australorp Araucanas
Oriental Game Fowl Brahmas
Shamo Leghorns
Welsommer

Last edited:
I have one loud mouth RIR who sings almost every time she lays an egg. The other 4, only sing the egg song occasionally. When they don't sing, they pop in the next box, lay their egg, and come out like nothing ever happened.

I have one EE that sings like crazy when she lays. She has gone on strike for some reason, I cannot figure it out. I cannot wait to hear that beautiful music again.

Back
Top Bottom