Chickens that lay blue eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by heyeighteen, Feb 1, 2011.

1. heyeighteen

heyeighteen New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    I just found out that there are chickens that lay blue or green eggs. Is this true? If so, where can you buy them?

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure! They are Aracanas or Americanas. Sometimes easter eggers, too (people on here call them EEs).

I was able to buy three from a local person who had bought some from a hatchery....but mine lay somewhat of a greenish blue egg.

There are threads on here about these breeds.....they are fun birds.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    There are Araucanas - they lay blue, blue green, turquoise. There are ameraucanas - they lay mostly blue. Then there are the Easter Eggers. They can lay any color depending on their parentage and if they carry the blue egg gene. Hatcheries sell Easter Eggers even if they are listed as ameraucana/araucana.

Here are some eggs from a couple of my True Rumpless Tufted Araucana

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do sell hatching eggs. Feel free to check out my website.

Lanae

4. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
  5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    we raise the lavender and black ameraucanas. All of our hens lay a true sky blue egg. I have pics, but cannot get them to show the TRUE color in a pic

Here is a link to a recent auction of black ameraucana eggs. It has pics of our black flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=446468

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Chances are, you're going to find or end up with "Easter Eggers" - chickens that are commonly and falsely sold as "Ameraucanas" from hatcheries, but yes, there are indeed chickens that lay blue and/or green eggs.

I myself have some beautiful, true Araucanas and Ameraucanas that lay them. I sell hatching eggs too. [​IMG]

Blue eggs on the right

[​IMG]

Blue eggs in carton

[​IMG]

Ameraucana hen

[​IMG]

Araucana hen

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by