chickens that like to "sleep in"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluedawg, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    On overcast days my chickens don't come out of the coop unless I open the door and bother them until they come out. It is dark in there but they have a window and can see that it is daylight outside. Is this common? Today they cam out at 11:30 am!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Tell them to get their act together! Give life a military feel!

Just kidding.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Are they free-range or in a run?

I haven't an ounce of scientific evidence to prove it, but from experience I have observed that those in a run tend to be a bit more.. lazy? content? They just seem to spend more time in their coops. Which I suppose makes sense, it's utilizing the space they have... [​IMG]

4. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    They are in a run. Too funny. And they are not laying yet either... They really do need to get their act together.

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Uh oh! Time to give 'em the freezer talk! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You have obviously made their coop wayyyyy too comfy. [​IMG]

ETA: pretty hard to get eggs out of a sleeping chicken.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
  7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hope it's not a health issue, that is completely different than mine!
    I will occasionally have 1 or 2 who stay in the coop when I open the door, figure it takes them a little longer to "wake up" but otherwise they all come out as fast as their little feet or wings will take them!! My geese and ducks lead the way, it's too funny!!
    They can hear me jiggling with the lock to open the coop and the chatter begins! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what mine would do before I got the auto door opener. Now the door opens when it starts getting light (about 5:45-6:00 right now) and they are up and out as soon as they hear the motor pulling the door up.

9. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    My five hens love to 'sleep in' and they have a huge coop and enormous run -- they also never, ever even think about laying an egg until after noon --
    my husband teases me that they are truly 'my kind of bird' as I, too, love to sleep in and have not accomplished much any day before noon since I retired from teaching --

I say. 'Let 'em enjoy life!'

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I read to never let the chickens outside until the sun was full-up. so my chickens aren't allowed to free range until then...but......I have hens who like to sleep in and I have some who go to roost earlier than others. I guess it is just the individual bird? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by