Chickens that love cat food.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KFox, Jun 23, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I allow my chickens to roam an area in my yard (closest to the house) when I can watch them. Yesterday, one of my pullets found the cat food. It's hidden in a dog house on the deck. Soon, they were all into it. I took it from them and put it up on the table. Within minutes, they had found a way to get on top the table and pirate more food. I moved the cat food in the barn and they followed me and entered the barn through the cat door.

So this morning, I put the cat food up before I let them out of their coop. They are searching everywhere for the cat food. I'm getting some very disapproving clucks and squawks. They look like addicts frantically searching high and low. I have given them some grapes to distract them but they immediately went back on the search and destroy mission to find the cat food.

I feed Nutrena Starter/Grower. I haven't had an egg yet. They have access to grit. They eat bugs and other findings every morning for a few hours as well as every evening for a few hours. I take them a few scraps (pieces of vegetables or a grape) to watch them play keep away. Are they missing anything or is there any particular reason they want the cat food-other than I won't let them have it?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Cat food contains the animal protein that poultry needs and doesn't get in today's poultry feeds.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My leghorns are addicted to cat food.. it's in the garage for the barn cats and they've managed to get in through the cat door! And of course, if the garage door is open they immediately run to the cat food.. bah.. It's pretty funny tho, my little barn cat getting shoved away by a couple of white leghorn girls (until mom intervenes)..

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Our girls get cat food several times a week as a treat, as mentioned it is a very good source of protein.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My chickens love cat food. I have to stand guard when I go outside to feed my feral cats because the chickens will run the cats away and eat the cat food. [​IMG]

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    So it's ok to give the chickens? How about dog food? We feed them the best, flint river ranch No fillers which is best.

7. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    are you talking about dry cat food or canned?

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Dry cat food is how I get them into the coop at odd hours. Like, if we're going to be out late, and I'm putting them away in early afternoon. They see that cat food bag and I am swarmed. They go right into the run after it. LOL

Blessings-
    Em

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I prefer insect-based protein treats for my girls. They ADORE dried mealworms. Trying to grow fresh ones, but not having much success. Get dried ones online or at Lowe's Home Improvement. [​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Is your Nutrena Starter/Grower that you are feed the "vegetarian diet"
    If so then I would say that there looking for Animal Protein.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by