1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens that won't come down during the day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mollyhobbs, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mollyhobbs

mollyhobbs New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi!

My husband I am are new to raising chickens in our backyard. Our girls are 3 months old. The past few days they have not been coming down the chicken run in the morning. It is getting colder, but I was wondering if they just don't want to come down, or if this is something to be concerned about? They have been coming down every morning for the past several weeks, now they aren't. I have lifted up the side of the coop and they are all just hanging out in there. They don't seem to be sick. I know that three of the four are molting. Does that have to do with them not coming down. It is 1:00 pm right now, and they are still hanging out up above.
    Thanks!

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Well, if they have been coming down without a problem for the past several weeks like you said, and now they aren't all the sudden, that is a bit strange. And I'm not sure, but I would think that either they don't like the cold weather, or they know something you don't. Unless, wherever you live, it's really freezing cold outside, then the weather probably shouldn't bother them. It's been in the 30's-40's here lately, and my chickens will come down the ramp and stay outside still. So I don't see why the weather would cause them to not want to go outside.
    But it could be that they know something you don't. Maybe there's something outside nearby that they see as a threat, so they're staying inside the coop for safety? Mine have done that before...If they even see a crow flying across the sky, they either run into the coop or they run under the coop until the danger is gone.
    They have their reasons. In my opinion, as long as they aren't sick, I would leave them be and let them decide whether they want to go outside (down the ramp) or not. Do they only not use the ramp,or do they not want to leave the inside of their coop at all?
    Also, if I were you, I would just look around the area around the chicken coop to see if it's something that is causing them to feel the need to stay in the safety of their coop.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
  4. mollyhobbs

mollyhobbs New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    thanks so much - I also moved the post!! I will definitely check around the coop. They will not come down from upstairs where their boxes are.
    The downstairs is the open part. We have an A frame coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by