chickens that won't come down during the day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mollyhobbs, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mollyhobbs

mollyhobbs New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi!

My husband I am are new to raising chickens in our backyard. Our girls are 3 months old. The past few days they have not been coming down the chicken run in the morning. It is getting colder, but I was wondering if they just don't want to come down, or if this is something to be concerned about? They have been coming down every morning for the past several weeks, now they aren't. I have lifted up the side of the coop and they are all just hanging out in there. They don't seem to be sick. I know that three of the four are molting. Does that have to do with them not coming down. It is 1:00 pm right now, and they are still hanging out up above.
    Thanks!

2. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some 4 month old RiR hens & they do the same thing. I hope they are just resting up for years of egg laying [​IMG]

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My sultan bantam and one of my cochin bantams do the same thing. I usually go out mid morning or so and get them down to eat.
    The other girls and my roo can't wait to get up in the morning, even though it's pretty cold

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free ranging birds going out of their way to avoid strong wind or exposed ground now that temperature has dropped. This enabled in part by easy access to more food than they can eat. They are fat and lazy. Are yours doing same?

5. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Mine don't care for the strong winds either, they spend time under my deck, which is pretty sheltered. I'm making it pretty easy for them to not move around too much either. I can't help myself, it's the time of year when snacking takes over both humans and animals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by