Chickens ticks

Can this be cause by:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marie7

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2019
Hello every one, my name is Marie and I'm new to thisforum, I found it after putting a questions regarding ticks on the internet.
I wanted to share some pictures of a problem I discover recently on my chicken and I believe are ticks.
My hens which one die and another 2 was eaten by a racoon few nights ago start to act strange, the production of eggs decrease and also i start to see one of my hens shaking her head, then i saw her laying down on the floor and hardly moving but after careful looking at her i saw that she had some black stuff around her eye after carefully inspect the hen i saw that she has massive clusters of what i thought was fleas it was looking like those things was eating the top of her head, i got panic completely and send my husband to buy me some powder at the agriculture place for thicks and fleas after show them the pictures, I apply the powder all over their heads and also sprinkle all over the floor of their coop, I repeat the following day and the next as the infestation was so severe.
Today they are doing much better, the rooster is singing again and the hen is walking again being herself, still have some of those pest that im continuing working on it but i removed a lot of dry and dead ones already.

Attachments

• chicken1.jpg
    chicken1.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 63
  • chicken2.jpg
    chicken2.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 44
Welcome to BYC!

Those are stick tight fleas. Treatment is to apply permethrin spray topically with a qtip or small, needless syringe. Be careful not to get any in the eyes. After treatment, they should all fall off in about 3 days. You should also spray the areas where she might be getting them from.

Amount to use is 47.5 ml (1.6 ounces) with about one quart of water.
gordons_spray_tsc_1.png

spray_bottle_1.png

Welcome to BYC!

Those are stick tight fleas. Treatment is to apply permethrin spray topically with a qtip or small, needless syringe. Be careful not to get any in the eyes. After treatment, they should all fall off in about 3 days. You should also spray the areas where she might be getting them from.

Amount to use is 47.5 ml (1.6 ounces) with about one quart of water.
View attachment 1741620
View attachment 1741621
Thank you I will look for this spray as the poor ones still have some they are very bad even my chihuahua got some of them no idea what triggers such infestation, I will power wash the coop so i can get those sucekers out ..Thanks for the info

Hi everybody
I spray wash my coop today thinking that it will do the trick and spray all over the floor the powder to kill this ticks however I put my other 3 hens on it with the first 2 and after about 3 hours i came back check on the hens and find my little one with ticks too already on the top of her head, i rush to the hen place and bought the stuff recommended yesterday and I have it to apply with a qtip to the hens i also move the coop from the dirt to a cement foundation to see if this help to eliminate them from my chicken, I will keep posting and updating, by the way the hen show in the picture it's doing much better the ticks has almost gone and dry out with the application of the powder. Thanks to all

Marie

Those are fleas. A terrible infestation of them!
Definitely use a premise spray. If these were my birds, I'd treat them with topical imidacloprid (Advantage) since it will have residual and will prevent re-infestation for some time. Probably a few weeks.

Those are fleas. A terrible infestation of them!
Definitely use a premise spray. If these were my birds, I'd treat them with topical imidacloprid (Advantage) since it will have residual and will prevent re-infestation for some time. Probably a few weeks.
Is it safe for birds?

Agreed, stick tight fleas. :sick

The permethrin spray mentioned also has some residual effect...

And would be my choice for treatment. It has been very effective in my area... in addition to affordable, easy to use, and NO withdrawal time for eggs. I use a cotton swab to treat heads when needed.

Good luck! :fl

Please note... permethrin is NOT safe for use in cats. But it is labeled for use in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom