Chickens to be publicly fostered, then slaughtered and eaten in art installation in my town.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksChick, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    This is the story.

The local newspapers' stories are here and here.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    So, while I can see the point, because I've always argued no one should eat meat unless they participate in its life or death or both, I am very saddened by this.

What do you all think?

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow.

Just dont think it cool to slaughter them publicly.
    I can imagine all the psycho nuts and demonic
    worshippers to come out of the closet to witness it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will be interesting to see if this project is completed.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I think it is a good idea. Some people think their food comes from the grocery store and that is it. They have no sense of where their food really comes from. This girl has grown up of a farm, and has most likely participated in slaughters before. It will be humanely done. These birds seem like they will be living a great life compared to factory birds. It might encourage people to look into what is really happening and they may decide to switch to local meat, which will boost the local economy. It will give parents a chance to show their children the processes of life and death, and show where their food comes from. If someone people do not like it, then they should not participate. The whole point of art IMO is to get people talking, and thinking about a bigger picture.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

To many people already think meat an eggs are grown in a lab somewhere. Nothing wrong with showing them reality.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I think calling slaughter 'art' is a misnomer. There is nothing artistic about turning an animal into food. While I thoroughly agree we all need to know how our food is produced, I think there are better ways to do it. Calling the taking of a life 'art, decreases the value of living. Reminds me of public hangings back in the 1800's.

Yes, I understand these are chickens. I also understand people need to know where food comes from. In this case I would invite people who are interested in seeing how the chicken is processed to a more private location. Personally, I would not attend a public slaughter for chickens. However, I would not mind (and already have) learning about the process in a informative class.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    yes! sounds like a good idea to me. So many people are out of touch. The birds are going to have a decent life it sounds like. Then they will have a humane death and then be eaten. Sounds like a typical bird at my house?

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    The animal rights people will have a field day.

I mean, knowing that a chicken has feathers, etc, when alive, and the stuff in the bucket that you get at KFC is also chicken is one thing; but looking a chicken in its beady little eyes one day, and eating it the next is a big leap for an awful lot of people. Our popular culture has done its best to distance us from that reality. Charlotte's Web, Babe, Chicken Run - all stories anthropomorphizing animals that don't want to be eaten. I can't count the number of kids I have heard state that they became vegetarians (or are thinking about it) because they believe that "it's wrong to eat living things." This is going to add fuel to the fire.

9. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Once upon a time ... this project was simply common knowledge, and people would have been scratching their heads wondering why all the fuss. That was then, but nowadays there are adults who firmly believe that meat in their grocery just magically appears as dressed meat. As already mentioned, there are a lot of folks who are in denial, and the occasional one who will admit their hypocrisy about eating meat while objecting to the idea of killing animals for food.

While I am not sure *I* personally would call this "art" I do believe a serious cultural shift needs to occur, where people are not so divorced from the knowledge of where their food actually comes from.

10. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota

X2. Allow the public to learn about the process and learn where their food comes from, but gees, don't call it art.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by