Chickens to coop ratio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by meleewarrior5, Apr 24, 2016.

1. meleewarrior5

meleewarrior5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    I have a 16 x 8 coop and am wondering if 60 chickens is too many for this space? 25 white leghorn, 19 barred rock, 16 rainbow.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I can tell you room needed but, you'll have to do the math yourself (not my best subject). Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop not including nest boxes or roosts.

Allow 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. Bigger is always better - chickens HATE being crowded and act out badly. Once you are totally addicted you will want more and more birds, and we will do nothing to stop you. We are all enablers, and think you can never have to many chickens. Consider yourself warned. [​IMG]

3. smithnan

smithnan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    The Thumb- Michigan
    I thought it sounded small for that many chickens, and according to Divas math, you have enough space for a max of 32 chickens.
    I just started incubating 42 eggs, just for fun. As much as I covet your roomy coop, you'll want more space -

Also, please heed Diva's warning. It's true, the path to chicken-dom is a slippery slope that can lead nowhere but to full-on addiction. Be careful out there....

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. meleewarrior5

Apr 24, 2016
    A slippery slope indeed!! That's how I end up in the situation of having too many for my coop size! [​IMG] I want soooo many more than I can hold!!! Haha

7. meleewarrior5

Apr 24, 2016
    Thank you!! I'm really excited to have a place to go for advice and chicken fellowship! [​IMG]

8. meleewarrior5

Apr 24, 2016
    Hello! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by