Chickens to stay off carport

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tchelle1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Tchelle1

Tchelle1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Hello!! I'm a new member from Georgia. I have 12 hens and 1 roo. They free range during the day, and we put them up at night in the coop so that they are safe from predators. Love my birds, but they like to get on my carport and porch and poop all over it!! Is there anyway to make them stay off the carport. Fencing it off is not an option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Can't imagine anything but fencing. Do you ever feed them treats by the car port? Sometimes that is why they congregate there. If you do , instead

give them treats away from that area..

If it bothers you that much maybe you could invest in one of those motion detector water sprayers that send out a blast of water to anything coming within range. I don't think the chickens would enjoy that - maybe they would get the hint.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. D/Diva has given some good suggestions - hope they work out for you.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Mine come up on my back porch too. I spray it down almost every day, if not every day, then every other day. It's according to how bad it's gotten in the day. They don't free range in the winter, so I don't have the problem then.
    Fence..Diva's suggestion? They will come your way when you appear out that door.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Yep, looks like a fence would be about the only way to go. Good luck to you!

7. Tchelle1

Tchelle1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions. A fence wouldn't work because we also have an indoor / outdoor dog. We don't feed them around the carport, but we do hand feed them so therefore any time they see us, they come running. I've thought about blowing a loud whistle every time I find them in the carport, but don't know how well they'd do auth conditioning like that.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome from Middle Georgia, so glad you have joined us.

I doubt you will be able to train them to stay off the area - but would suggest you post the question under Managing Your Flock to see if other folks with similar issues have found success?

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I had a pair of very friendly ducks once that spent their whole life on the back stoop except when they were put up for the night. We just dealt with a poopy stoop. I am not sure there is a solution. If there is, I have not heard of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by