chickens totally stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbdk, Sep 29, 2016.

1. nbdk

nbdk New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    Hello all,I have Rhode Island reds and buff orpingtons.i just bought 7 goats a few days ago and just had a couple die. Don't know exactly the cause but maybe pneumonia or Coccitiosis. I am going to treat everybody with the medicine you put in there drinking water. My chickens are acting just fine no problems what so ever. My question is is it alright to eat the eggs now and while I am treating with the meds. The chickens are in with the goats but they are not showing any signs of anything wrong. Just wondering if I would be alright to continue with eating the eggs. Also I am not exactly the cause of death with the goats. Just trying to be proactive. Thanks for any help that you can give

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If you're talking about Corid, the eggs are fine to eat during treatment.

If the problem is cocci, the chickens already have immunities to your particular strain. The goats, coming from a different property, may have been immune to their type, but yours is just different enough to cause issues.

Cocci and pneumonia are pretty different, though. One is GI and one is respiratory. Have you had a vet out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by