1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens totally stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbdk, Nov 14, 2016.

1. nbdk

nbdk New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    Hello, I have about 30 rhode island reds and buff orpington. They were all doing really well, laying around a dozen or so eggs a day,then all of a sudden they pretty much stopped .As of now they have not laid an egg in about 3 months.The chickens are about a year and a half old. I live in southern ohio, the chickens were free ranging throughout the pasture.they are not going through a molt, and I feed them pretty regularly along with fresh water at all times.Currently I have got them locked back up in my barn to see if I can get them to start laying again.I have done a lot of research on this and the only thing that I could think would stop them from laying is that I had a coyote problem in my pasture a few weeks ago and the coyotes got a couple of my baby goats and maybe a chicken or two.I was thinking that maybe the chickens were just stirred up a little,dont know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks a lot

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by