chickens, turkeys, ducks, oh my...!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nvmycj, Jun 17, 2010.

1. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Hi gang!

When I get my turkeys and duckies, do they need to have separate sleeping arrangements, ie,...different coops. Will the turkey fit in the pop door?

Thanks!

Matej

2. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I've always just had chickens, but when I placed my order of spring chicks, I added ducks and guineas. We also have one turkey that we hatched out (only one of 12 that hatched). Currently I house the chicks, guineas, and turkey together. The turkey is like the ugly duckling. But they all get along great. I did have to separate the ducks, because they are so MESSY. They also grow about 10x faster and are HUGE in comparison. I have them in a large pin and have a big water dish for them to play in. I am not sure what I'll do with the turkey but I will have the ducks, chickens, and guineas seperated once out of the brooder. Oh and I feed them Flock Raiser or Grower or whatever. Not sure if I was any help or not.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. Little Barnyard

Little Barnyard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    well i have free range chickens and chickens in coops and ducks in a pen and the ducks fly out of there pen and get with the free range chickens and they don't fight but when the ducks are in the pen the roosters that free range chase each other

4. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I believe you have to keep your turkeys seperate. But the ducks let em go. They will either bond or split up. They will rarely fight from my experince. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by