Chickens turned aggressive.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KenyonFam4, Mar 18, 2012.

1. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    My sister in law has 7 chickens...4 buff's and 3 americaunas. They have all been getting along for the last year + but all of a sudden they are starting to bully other chickens. They pecked the comb of one so bad she had to put the one chicken in a dog kennel at night so they wouldnt bully her. Then today she woke up and went to let them out and they got to another one so bad her whole neck and face is bloody. Not sure what could be causing this all of a sudden aggression...The only thing different is that they went from having an enclosed run to having free range of the yard...except now they are not getting out of the coop as much because of the run being gone...They spend most of the time outside, but just a few days here and there it is not safe to let them out...any help or advise would be great!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Why did she get rid of their nice, safe run? Them being cooped up is probably why they're picking. If they still had that enclosed run, they wouldn't have to be locked up in the coop is my thinking....maybe hang a head of cabbage/lettuce or a flock block for them to peck at on the days they need to be shut in. Or figure out who is doing the picking and separate them. That's really all I can think of. Best of luck to your sister in law.

3. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    because she moved and has not had the ability or time to move the run that was attached to the coop...She is relying on my husband (her brother) to do it and he doesnt have time either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by