Chickens under 2 months dropping like flys,no noticeable symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elsveta641, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    Iowa
    Birds affected: None of the birds are younger than 1 week or older than 2 months who die. 5 different breeds in 3 seperate buildings. Birds came from 3 different sources(vaccinated Murrays Hatchery boilers, Goldfeather Farm, my own hatches.)
    Symptoms: They show no symptoms then suddenly become tired and die within an hour. About 50% of affected birds seem thin. About 40% are pale before death. All become sleepy and limp, progressing to stretching and twitching then death. Any attempt to drink water and the bird dies immediately.
    Things NOT happening: No adult birds affected, no poopy butts or other vent area issues, no blood in stool, not gone off feed or water before onset of illness, no wounds or injury, no mites or external parasites seen, no predator involvment. Not overly hot, chilled, wet. Not picked on by other birds
    Things I've tried: Cleaned the out pens, added new bedding and lime. Treated with metronidazole one week. Wormed with Wazine. Bleaching waterers several times a week. Adding apple cider vinegar to water. Moved chicks under 1 week old into house with no improvement, burn the dead birds
    Possible contributing factors In same time frame: abrupt weather change to cold and rain, 4 batches of chicks arrived from Goldfeather farms, Death of best hunting cat resulted in noticable increase in barn swallows and mice within a week.
    Things that happened one week after chickens began dying:house cat diagnosed with Giardia and quarantined to sunporch of house, cat never had been outdoors or in contact with the birds.One barn cat sick with diarreha and immediately quarantined. Young kitten died of vet diagnosed heart ailment with similar symptoms prior to death.

What the back is going on here? There are so many possibilities that come up on Google it's overwhelming. Has anyone had a similar problem?

2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
  3. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Since it sounds like you live on an actual farm, do you have well water?

Also what geographical area do you live in?

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Quail Hatch TBD

5. Texas Kiki

How much and how often of the metronidazole did you give each bird?

6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any possible toxins? Plant sprays, chemicals, etc
    Also are you using any heat source (thinking of the red bulbs that put off toxic fumes that kill quickly)

8. Texas Kiki

I know chickens can get giardia I am just not sure if they can get it from the cat.
    I think I would treat them regardless just in case and I think the metro is what is used to treat it.

9. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    But, they could get it from the same source, like a contaminated well.

10. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    Iowa
    We are on rural coop water, not well water. We live in western Iowa. Our acreage is bordered by beef cattle farm/soybean fields. The tiny babies have a heat lamp in the house but I've used the same bulb for 4 batches and this is the first issue. The bigger babies have a heat plate, the grow outs have no heat. The antibiotic was 1 pill per gallon of water which is how I mixed it. Didn't give to the babies under 2 weeks. We use pymethrin and Demon insecticide but haven't sprayed since August. I may already have Corrid, I need to check in the barn. If not I can grab it in the morning. Thanks so much everyone for trying to help me, I really appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: