chickens usually lay in the morning right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Nov 22, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My girls are all getting to the age that they should be laying. 3 are sex link and the guy I got them from said that he had gotten some eggs from them. My birds free range during the day. Should I keep them in the coop untill like noon to see if they lay any eggs? They have a ton of space to free range in so They might be laying in the woods. I have not seen or heard anything but who knows

2. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    I have a couple that lay in the morning, a couple that lay between 3pm and 5pm and one that lays a bit later.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Not necessarily. Mine all cycle (during peak season; during molt they're really random), so they'll lay 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, skip, repeat, or some variant of that when they're really going.

But if you're worried about them learning to lay in the right spot, you might want to keep them locked up for a bit -- do you have a run? That at least would get them some fresh air but keep them close to the coop.

4. JayDee

JayDee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Our only hen who is laying lays later every day and then misses one. It's like she's laying every 25 or 26 hours.

She's never laid an egg early enough for me to get it before work though. She always comes down into the run for a while first. Eats, drinks and then goes upstairs to lay an egg and then she sings!

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    You would have to lock them all day if their like mine. LOL!! Fortunately mine learned to lay in their nest boxes before wondering off, or perhaps they come back. Anyway, I have sex linked, BR and BOs. They lay anywhere from early morning to late afternoon.

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine lay anywhere from around 9am thru 2 or 3 pm. My hens are so good...no matter where they are when they need to lay, they go back to the coop and lay their eggs in a nest box. They go free-ranging every day.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I get eggs from 6am to 4pm...am waiting right now for Violet (BO) to finish laying so I can bring it in.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    My three are laying around 11-1 Usually when I go out there at 11- Nothing, but if I go out at 1pm I will find 3. And some days they have surprised me with a later than normal egg. But I have one that is laying every other day.

9. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    My gals will lay anytime between 8am-5pm

10. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    My girls lay between 8am and 1pm for the most part, the first egg they layed was outside the coop, but then one layed in the box, and now they all lay in the box- even if they are out free ranging.
    So it may be a good idea to keep them in for a bit until one lays, then they all tend to get the idea- they are creatures of habit [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by