Chickens Vanished

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RedBreasted, Jun 20, 2017.

1. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I have 2 hens out of 5 that went missing. They are Amber White and Easter Egger, both already starting to lay eggs but now I'm depressed that I won't get anymore green eggs. I live in a suburban neighborhood so hawks or foxes isn't all I see around here. My yard is bigger than my next door neighbors so I free range all my chickens. The fences are 6ft tall, wood, and l wouldn't worry about the 2 hens fly out. Last time I saw them was last Thursday when I was feeding them and the last green egg I got was on last Friday or Saturday.

Edit: it was unlikely they die from starvation, dehydration or cannibalism because then where's the bones at or the body. I now have 3 hens, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, and Brown Leghorn

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sorry this happen, but it happens a lot to chickens that free-range. If it was a Predator---and you continue free-ranging---it will probably be back for the rest when it wants another good Chicken Dinner.

3. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Right now I'm thinking it could be a neighbor entering my yard and stealing chickens. If this happens, it is considered as trespassing and I'll call the cops.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Anything is possible but that's a lot more than just trespassing if they stole them. Probably predators----if I was your neighbor and I wanted to steal your chickens---I would wait till night and get them all off the roost----most thief's would be to lazy to chase them in the day time in the heat. Good Luck

5. mickeymushroom

mickeymushroom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    did you look under the coop? If you are experiencing hot weather they often go there to cool... then they die. I have had to get down on my hands and knees looking for them and yes. In the past I had many die under the coop in the shade. Look under bushes too?

6. chickfilletNOT

chickfilletNOT Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Arkansas
    It sounds like they were not in a coop at night? Even in suburban areas, there are raccoons and other wild animals that wouldn't be put off by a fence. :( I even had a favorite hen killed in the coop by something that reached in, grabbed her, and ate everything that could be pulled through the bars. I guess it was a coon. Anyway, unless they are kept in a super snake-proof and coon-proof coop, chickens are never safe.

7. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    EVERYTHING eats chicken, which is why they need a coop at night, even if you free range during the day.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When did they disappear?
    Do you have a secure coop for at night?

A 6 foot fence is nothing to a chicken to fly up on top of then over they go.

Cindy in PA and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    They disappeared around last Friday or Saturday. The coop is always locked except for a small opening for the chickens to go into at night/when laying eggs.
    I checked my entire yard. Wasn't under coop.
    I'm sorry about your fowl dead. I'm thinking it could be a predator but I keep thinking they might've flew over the fence and some human kidnap them. Wherever my hens are at, their probably dead. :(
    I've only had 2 months of green eggs from my Easter Egger. Time to order new ones at my local hatchery!

10. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    Wait...what? So you don't even know what day they disappeared? You say the coop is locked EXCEPT for a hole they can get into? Then the coop isn't locked from predators. I'm confused. Am I missing something?

chickfilletNOT and getaclue like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by