Chickens very messy with feed...suggestions for a feeder.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pleasantonchicks, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Pleasantonchicks

Pleasantonchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Hi there BYC people,

We are pretty new to chickens, we have three that are about 12wks old. Love this site and all the help from fellow chicken owners. Kind of a silly question but my chickens make a huge mess with their feed. I hung the feeder up recently but the feed is still all over the place. The bottom of the run is sand and I sift the poop and wasted feed out every other day. Does anyone have this problem? I posted a picture of our set up below any suggestions would be great.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Put smaller amounts of feed in the feeder, and stop cleaning up what is spilled.

When the feeder is empty, they will eat what's on the ground

3. DDRLonghorns

DDRLonghorns Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Red Oak, TX
    I don't know the answer to your question [​IMG] but I love your coop! Nice setup.

4. Pleasantonchicks

May 30, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Bear Foot Farm: Thank you for your response. Makes perfect sense, I am still learning...I feel a bit silly right now:D

DDR Longhorns: Thank you! We did the best we could with the little bit of room we have in California, someday I would love to have land!

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Glad you asked this, I'm having the same issue. I keep filling it back up [​IMG] Oops! I felt bad making them eat it off the grass lol. Seems pretty obvious now [​IMG]

Edit : I meant to comment on your sweet set up. Very nice!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. MammaBear

MammaBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    SW PA
    I had the same problem. I had my feeder too low and they were scratching in it. I raised it up some and it stopped. If that is your feeder that I can see in the pen, maybe it is too high...??? Try changing your height and see it if it helps.

7. Pleasantonchicks

May 30, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Quote:Haunted Chicken: I felt bad about them eating the feed off the ground too...my husband looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to remind me they are chickens...they don't mind eating things off the ground! Thanks for your kind comment about our set up [​IMG]

Mama Bear: Thank you for your input, I will try moving the feeder down a bit.

8. Nicolette'sFarmette

Nicolette'sFarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    California!
    I have a 30lbs feeder that I also hang (love it because I only have to fill it about every three weeks or so). It is hanging about chest high....and there is honestly no wasted feed. I would agree with adjusting the height a bit. Great coop, by the way [​IMG]

9. MammaBear

MammaBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    SW PA
    Nicolette'sFarmette :

I have a 30lbs feeder that I also hang (love it because I only have to fill it about every three weeks or so). It is hanging about chest high....and there is honestly no wasted feed. I would agree with adjusting the height a bit. Great coop, by the way [​IMG]

How do they reach it???​

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I asked the same question a while back. We ended up building the feeder in post 10. It's the BYC posters(KDK1)'s design and I have zero feed waste! It fits the entire 50# bag and the feeder is mounted outside the coop, with the tray inside. Not even a single morsel has spilled out. Here is the post. I'm very grateful KDK1 shared his idea with me. It's the best and most effictive feeder ever!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by