chickens vision

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick-e-chick, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    This probably sounds silly, but do chickens look at what is front of them or what is to the side of them? I can't tell, sometimes they seem to look straight ahead, but sometimes they seem to turn their head sideways to look at something....any ideas? I can't make my mind up!!!!!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That's an interesting question; I've noticed the same thing, and just assumed their eyesight is similar to that of a horse - a horse cannot see directly in front of it, unless the item they're trying to see if at least 2' ahead. I bet chickens are the same, but the distance in front would be much shorter since they're so much smaller than a horse. I'm curious what others will say! [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    From what I remember, chickens have almost a 360 degree vision except in the front and back of their heads. So I guess you could say it is like a horse. This also explains why they bob their heads when they run or are scared so that they can see all around and why its so hard to catch them [​IMG]

Hopefully someone with a more detailed explanation will come on.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by