Chickens Visit to Nursing Home (VIDEO link)

Shannonwbl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Collierville (Memphis), TN
Today I took some of our chickens to visit a nursing home and it was a very sweet time. You can view the video from the link below or access the link from the "What's Happening" page on my website.

Even I can't believe I did this! Such fun.

Last edited:
big_smile.png
OH HOW FUN!!!!

How CUTE!!! I swear, animals are the best medicine for the elderly in nursing homes than anything else! I loved your video. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all. It was way more fun than I ever expected. It was really neat how many of the ladies had chickens growing up. My Grandmother is there and it is a terrific facility that is open to all kinds of activities. I am working with a friend to take her miniature horses next - mine are a bit too big.
wink.png

Ooh, that is sooo sweet! It reminds me of the time I picked up one of my roosters for my great-grandmother to pet... She had been terrified of the big rooster because of a mean one she had to feed in her childhood, and she couldn't believe how friendly and soft my rooster was... (*sniff* I miss you, Grandma...)

The person that is bringing these chickens to the nursing home is so thoughtful, bringing a bit of excitement into their mundane lives.

The video sort of reminds me of the Mr. Joy rooster. I think he has a YouTube video, too.

I think that's a super great idea. What a nice film you made. Did you chose chickens that were extra tame? Our chickens would probably peck at people's glasses and flap around a lot...

Thanks, it was fun, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that can do it - very rewarding for everyone.
These are our first 6 chickens (about 6 months old) and we selected breeds based on disposition and just what appeal to us on looks as well.

We have 2 BR, 1 Amerucana, 1 NH Red, 1 Wyandotte, and 1 Blue Cochin. Took the three that are the most friendly - and those are like puppy dogs. The Cochin, Wyandotte and one of the BRs are very shy. I really have to give taming credit to my children and all the friends and family that come over to visit. People are just fascinated with them and love to feed them and hold them so a few have just grown to love people.

I am a horse person and it is a known fact that if a horse can get used to children (because they are active and unpredictable) you will likely have a pretty laid back, been there-done that kind of horse. I guess it applies to chickens too.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom