Chickens vs. Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Delsur, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Delsur

Delsur New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Sorry if question has been answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it.

My chicks are pretty much full grown. With spring coming soon, I want to start letting them out of their run to free range a bit. The property on 2 sides of our property is a cow pasture with an electric fence around it. The lower wire is just about the height of my chickens' heads.

If the chickens come in contact with the electric fence, will they be injured or killed? The fence has enough juice to persuade 1200 lbs of bull to back up and change direction. I'm concerned my chicken's heads might explode.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    We have electric on the fence around the perimeter for cows also, have seen birds get hit occasionally, never had it hurt a bird that I know of (like anything else, a bird with something wrong with it might be a different story and would be afraid of meat birds getting into it ie). There is electric netting made especially for poultry, so electric is used to contain chickens.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The smaller the zapped, the more intense and powerful the zap. Probably could easily kill them.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Low impedance systems are best for poultry.

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    What's considered low? Do you have to worry if its solar?

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The simple description of low impedance is probably too vague. From what I understand, low impedance is supposed to resist shorts better when coming in contact with weeds. Here's one that I have which is not considered low impedance, but is not a hazard to poultry. I know it works to repel predators because my dog kept away from the fence forever after getting zapped: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=13707&cat_id=54

I've never used solar chargers, so I don't know what to recommend. The cost of running an electric fence off a 110 outlet is so minimal, I never considered solar seeing how unreliable solar powered gates are after a few cloudy days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by