1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens vs Electric Wire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Boo, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    We have an electrified line that we installed about 1 foot off of the ground around our back yard to stop one of our very smart and persistent dogs from escaping the yard. She stopped trying to escape as she got old so we did not bother replacing the last set of batteries. We now have a ?fox? issue and have reinstated the electricity to the line (we found 3 places where something has dug under the fence). I have had chickens for about 2.5 years and they have been touching that wire and have no reason to be afraid of it. My question is: How bad will this be for my chickens if they touch this wire? The power is 7 D batteries and it is set to pulse. The wire itself is actually for cows and horses.

I figure the ?fox? feels safe in our yard because our dogs have aged and no longer charge off of the porch at the slightest sound to confront the source but stand on the deck and bark. They also do not patrol the grounds like they used to but do their business within 15 feet of the deck instead of in the woods near the fence. My DH now gets to go out and pee on the fence and encourage the now lazy dogs to go with him. The hen house/coop is secure. Our loss happened when they were out in our fenced wooded yard.

2. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Quote:They will squawk but they learn to leave it alone.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It wont hurt them.
    My fence carries about 8000 volts and the chickens will walk right through it
    Most of the time it doesnt shock them at all, but when it does, it just makes them move a little faster

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I would imagine their feathers would provide insulation from making contact with the wire. I wouldn't worry about them.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Hope he gets out of that habit after the electric fence is reactivated! [​IMG] Until then caution him to wave and smile as the neighbors drive by so they will not get the wrong idea! [​IMG]

6. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Luckily, we have woods on 3 sides of the yard, where the deterrent is needed. And he does tend to do this at night. [​IMG]

My DH wants me to point out that he is not dumb enough to actually pee on a hot electric fence. He plans to pee near it. [​IMG]

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:That is really a good thing. Much simpler. If you could sell tickets, it would offset the cost of feed. Hard times make for hard solutions. [​IMG]

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    When my first chicken first hit the electric fence, there was LOUD squawking and bawking and I never knew she could fly that well. They avoid it now. Stay a couple of feet away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by