chickens vs. plants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenguy11, Nov 1, 2013.

1. thechickenguy11

thechickenguy11 Just Hatched

Nov 1, 2013
    my grandfather has a garden and everything is in pots. whenever he plants a tree out of the pots our four chickens dig it up. he could work for 12 hours and they could destroy it in 1-2 hours, and sometimes we wonder if its worth the eggs and the chickens[​IMG]. the main reason their out there is for the shade and the bugs. we buy them crickets and things so the food is no problem. I need suggestions on how to manipulate the shade so they will want to stay on the fenced side of the yard.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid the only solution is a fence they can't bypass. If they see something they want to eat, they will go there. They may hang out in good shade parts of the day, but sooner or later they will leave the shade for the food.

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Chickens have a powerful instinct to forage, even when they have everything they need, and unfortunately this instinct tends to attract them to the things we least want them getting into like potted plants, freshly-mulched beds, and vegetable gardens. The only way to prevent it is to either fence the chickens in the places you want them, or fence them out of the places you don't.

4. thechickenguy11

thechickenguy11 Just Hatched

Nov 1, 2013
    thanks for your help. I think we could plants some tree and build a higher fence (higher fence only if necessary).

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Gotta agree with everyone else :) I'd go with fencing around the tree(s) or any plant, a little chicken wire and a few t-posts and you'd be good to go.

6. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    For vegetables I use fencing and for small trees I use rocks so they don't dig up the roots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by