Chickens vs property values (article from St Louis Post)

I don't like that council argued having chickens around would attract predators - predators are already in urban areas thanks to land enroachment and unsecured trash.

I'm glad the neighbors stood up for the lady in the article and she gets to keep her chickens. Right now I can have any animals I want on my property, but I worry about changing rules...

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, ridiculous argument, isn't it? As if coyotes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, & feral dogs/cats were only attracted to chickens.

I can understand limits on flock size or requirements for sanitary housing, but even suburban yards have enough room for a half dozen hens. Would much rather have chickens next door than a dog that yaps or barks incessantly.

But in Chesterfield, the growing popularity of urban fowl didn't go over so well with some residents. The concern? The effect on property values and attracting coyotes and other varmints.

If this is so then the residents should get rid of their cats, rabbits, dogs and so on....any outdoor pet. Someone just wants to stir up trouble where there is none.​

Living in St Louis you have to understand that the suburb of Chesterfield is very, well how do I say this, they think there own poo don't stink. So anything other than a in ground pool, sticks for trees and a trampoline in the backyard is "redneck".

Quote:
lau.gif
I think that thats the way they are here also. I guess that when we spoke at our council meeting last night, I kinda thought that maybe those very old people, "condo comandos" were thinking that. But the Mayor did tell me "thanks for the information", I gave them all a packet with much info in it. People really need to get with the program, and do a little research, huh? Chickens are allowed all over the place now.

Chickens are illegal where I live, but that doesn't surprise me because we were harrassed that they didn't like the fact that we had 2 different colored tarps covering our firewood. Had to go and spend $65 to get a single tarp large enough to cover the wood, then was told a month later that the city decided we were in violation and needed to move the wood into our backyard where our privacy fence would 'hide' it. Called our alderman and he told us that ordinance hadn't even passed yet! So basically we even get harrassed for violating laws that haven't even been passed!

Yes, Chesterfield is an upscale area, but there are other nice areas such as Kirkwood and Webster Groves that do allow chickens.

I'd love to have a few hens. Maybe it would cut down on the mosquito population from the next door neighbor's above ground pool that has the shredded lining and has a mosquito breeding ground for the past 3 years!

Back
Top Bottom