Chickens vs. Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by schmije, Aug 25, 2008.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Does anybody have any advice to discourage the chickens from pecking all of my tomatoes just as they begin to turn red? This is the first summer that I have allowed my girls to free-range, and they have really done a number on the low-hanging tomatoes. I don't want to have to put a fence around the garden or the chickens, but I'm beginning to think that might be the best solution.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A fence around either the garden or the chickens is the only way I know of.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I agree, either fence the chickens or garden. My chickens didn't wait for my tomatoes to start to turn, they pecked holes in 45 in a single afternoon.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    You know what is really odd? I have about 20 cherry tomato plants that have had ripened tomatoes on it all summer and the chickens have yet to go near them...

I know people have said that chickens love tomatoes and I don't discount that...

I just must have the most "dense" chickens on BYC....thankfully!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My guineas like to peck the regular size tomatoes, but they never bother my grape ones either.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Fence the garden. Make the fence at least 4 or 5 feet high or cover it. Then plant a tomato garden just for the chickens without any fencing. [​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine know where the tomato plants are, but they won't eat them unless I pick the tomatoes and throw them out on the lawn. [​IMG] I guess I should count myself lucky!

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    We have a garden that is directly in front of the 2 bantam lots and off to the side of the Huge standard lot. This time of year the birds are only out for an hour or so in the evenings. Each year we run a 150' roll of 2' wire around it. Hammer in some stakes and zip tie the fence up. It is just 8' too short and we use other material to finish the last little bit. We can still step across, but most of the birds stay out. Thank goodness my chickens are lazy.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by