Chickens w/runny nose, clear - Wet, stinky wings - 3rd Plea for Help!

Grannychicken

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
i'm sorry to be so bothersome - but i don't know
what to do - we do not have vets here who will look
at chickens - we have 2 wil clear drainage but wet, stinky
places underneath near the top of their wings???anyone???
ALSO - HAS ANYONE USED THE ON LINE CHICKEN VET???
THANKS

If they have smelly fluid coming from their nostrils then Coryza is most likely what they have. I don't understand the "under their wings" bit. Do they have wounds there or could it just be the drainage from their heads dropping down? Either way they need antibiotics.

They're probably getting it on their wings when they tuck their heads to sleep.

I had some with watery eyes, clear watery nasal discharge on occasion, 'wet' sounding sneezes... I chose to treat them (rather than cull) and what finally worked was Tylan 50 injectable, given ORALLY. I'm sure you could inject it...and it'd work faster...but I chose to try orally first after reading that it could be used that way. I tried two other meds first, which didn't make much difference. I used 1/4cc orally for pullets, 5 days.

A really distinct smell is associated with Coryza. Mine didn't really smell, and they didn't look like the Coryza pictures/description...but I'm not sure what they had. I know they're likely carriers of whatever it was, so I now have a closed flock...no one in, no one out... so it doesn't continue to be passed to other birds as long as I have these birds.

thank you all - the drainage is very clear and not smelly - didn't think about them putting their heads
under the wings and transferring the goo! We are doing an antibiotic in the water - would it hurt to
change to the tylan? - i've been reading lots of good reports on this med?
And what can I 'wash' them
with to clean underneath the wings - any ideas?????

And thanks again - never dreamed I'd get hooked on Chickens ( * 8

You can use regular or baby or dog or horse shampoo to wash the birds. Just be sure to thoroughly dry them and keep them warm afterwards. Tylan is great, as is gallimycin. Baytril is better than either, but requires a prescription. I've been reading about denaguard and it actually sounds like it is the best med. The clinical results were dramatically improved when tetracycline was administered during the same timeframe. Denaguard has a 0 withdrawal time for eggs, 1 day for meat; tetracycline, however, has longer withdrawal (2 weeks?).

When mine had some thin, watery nasal discharge, they transferred it to their wings/back during sleep, too. I didn't clean it off...didn't want to wet them/chill them. I did use some VetRx drops in that area. I don't think VetRx is any type of serious 'cure all', but I think it could help with clearing the nose/lungs of mucus like vicks does... so, since they were tucking their heads there, I put a few drops in that area for a day or two. After the the watery discharge stopped, their wings cleaned up...surely from pruning. No washing needed.

I first used Aureomycin in the water for nearly 2 weeks... didn't see 100% improvement. Some improvement, yes...but as soon as I stopped, it rebounded in less than two days. Then I tried Sulmet, and after three days, so no change at all. Next was the Tylan 50 injectable given orally. That's what did the trick here.

What you're using might take care of it, too... just depends on what it is and what med it's sensitive to. If you don't see significant improvement in 3 days treatment (with no rebounding when you stop), discontinue that med and go to something else if desired.

I don't think it'd hurt to change to another med if that's what you decide to do. I didn't exactly wait between meds... when I went from a water mixed one, I just cleaned the water, put fresh out, in the mid-morning, and that evening, I pulled them off the roosts to medicate with the Tylan after they'd settled in for the night. Had no ill effects from doing so.

I think you can get a version of Tylan that is mixed in the water, but I just went with the Tylan 50 given orally.
I don't know if you've ever given anything orally before, but if not... use a small syringe (needle removed) and when you insert it into their mouth, make sure you go way back into their throat... even *down* it a little. The hole to their lungs, as I understand it, is right at their tongue and you need to get the meds past that so they don't inhale it. If you get it in their far enough, it's easy to give, no one chokes and inhales it. The trickiest part for me was just getting it IN their mouth...once in and deeper in their throat, they don't really struggle anymore and it's easily given.

Like I said, you can inject it, too... but I read so many conflicting posts about injecting it. Some said in the breast muscle ONLY, some said ONLY subcutaneously as it damages muscle when injected. In cows and pigs (as it's sold for) you are supposed to inject it intramuscular...but any tissue damage to the muscle would be small compared to the size of the animal. In a chicken, any damage would be more severe, considering the size. Then I read about giving it orally, and decided to try that FIRST to see if it worked. (it has) I was going to next try subcutaneously in the back of the neck if orally didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom