1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens wading in their run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garngang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    so its been raining here for like a week now and there is standing water in my chickens run that is probably 1.5 to 2 inches deep. there is a small section that is above water but they dont really seem to mind it. they just wade around and drink from the puddles. its kinda funny but now im wondering if it could be bad for them???? we are planning on digging some trenches when it finally dries out but the end of all this isnt until like tuesday.
    any suggestions????? [​IMG]

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    With drinking the muddy water, do you need to worry about coccidia?

3. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    The poop in the water is mold paradise and other bacteria. Also cocci, and if you have snakes, they'll be searching for refuge from the flood ie, your coop.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You really need to do something about that before you are posting in the 'Diseases' section of BYC.

Check out the 'fixing a muddy run' page in my .sig below for some ideas. Your situation sounds like it needs several things to be done to really solve the problem, not just a single quick fix.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    Ok thanks I'll look it over and try to figure something out. But this morning when I went out to open the coop one of my roosters was gurgling when he crowed. Just a little cough u think???? I'm worried now....

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Agree with others who advise quickly getting your birds out of standing water and keeping their home (and them) dry and clean. Prevention is much easier to deal with than disease and sickness. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by