1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens wandering

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coachhaze60, Jan 5, 2009.

1. coachhaze60

coachhaze60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Morganton,NC
    I live in North Carolina and I have a free range flock of approximately 73 chickens (roos and hens) along with 12 ducks. I have a problem with them wandering onto other people's properties. I have had a few killed as they attempted to cross the road over the course of the last year and a half. I live in the county and am not aware of any restrictions to having free range birds. Should I try to enclose my backyard with additional fencing or should I build some type of very large enclosure for them. I have had them free ranging for about 3 years and don't want to upset my birds since they enjoy scratching in the yard and in my gardens.
    I would appreciate any type of feedback to help me make a decision in this matter.

thanks for reading this coachhaze60 in NC

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    From what I've read chickens natural range is about 150 to 200 yards. I also free range my chickens and that is about as far as they go. I have 20 acres so they have more room than they can use. If you have close neighbors you may have to fence in your flock or suffer the consequenses. People who have chickens often have problems with neighbors dogs. If your chickens wander into their area it would be your fault. Also not everyone is so appreciative of chickens in their yard. Check your local zoning codes before you make any decisions.

3. coachhaze60

coachhaze60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Morganton,NC
    I have a little over an acre and for the most part the greater number of chickens I have stay in my yard. I have about 6-7 that wander while the others are content to stay in my yard. Since I am in the county there are no restrictions on having free range chickens. I was wondering about the range of the birds. Any ideas on how large an enclosure I would need if I had to build one for my birds. My birds don't have their wings clipped so they are able to fly and I REALLY don't want to clip their wings to allow them a chance to get away in the trees if they are attacked.

coachhaze60 in NC

4. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Quote:From what I've read here about 10 sq ft. per bird is good for a run. It doesn't sound like you will need a run. I expect to lose some birds to predators of one type or another. I lost one last summer but I don't know what got it. That's the price I'm willing to pay to see them happy and living naturally. I will not tolerate neighbors dogs preying on my flock. Most areas in the country it is commonly accepted that any dog caught running or killing livestock or deer will be shot. I have warned my neighbor but do not anticipate any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by