Chickens wasting away?? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chamberchix, Nov 15, 2011.

1. chamberchix

chamberchix New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Hello all and thanks for all the fantastic information in all the posts. We are on our second flock of chickens. Our first was years ago and we had three beautiful girls that gave us the best eggs. We are now into our second brood and we are having some sort of disease that we can't figure out. The hens are between 4 and 5 months old. We started with five and then one got sick ( lethargic, weight loss, some blood in the stool.. no notice of funny smell or swollen crop) and died. We thought it was cocci and treated the whole flock for a few days with Amprol 128. She died the next day after starting treatment. We found her in the morning on her side breathing but zero energy. That was that and we thought we were too late to help her. Treated one more day with the Amprol and then switched to regular water. We now have a second chicken that is exhibiting the same symptoms as the first one. She is lethargic, breaths through her mouth, closes eyes often, eats less, stays behind the group, has ruffled feathers, and is starting to lose weight. We do let them free range in the back yard and then put them in the coop at night. There are wild birds that have access to the coop as well ( no top netting). The chicks were medicated before we bought them and then raised them with a medicated starter feed for the first 8 weeks or so. I just went out to check for Sour crop ( not sure where the crop is?) and rubbed her neck. She seamed to like it and closed her eyes when I massaged her throat area. Opened her mouth in a weird way as well when I massaged the neck. We are unsure on how to proceed. I'm going to mix a batch of Amprol and resume cocci treatment tomorrow, but thinking maybe we should get some anti biotics? If anyone has an idea we would sure love the help. Yogurt, apple cider vinegar,...? Thank you in advance for your insight.

Chamberchix

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

I also think you are dealing with cocci. The damage from cocci can be so rapid and so extreme that birds still continue to die after treatment. They can't take in nutrients from their food because of the lesions left behind by the cocci that overloaded their GI system. It takes time for those lesions to heal, but a severely compromised bird just doesn't have the strength to heal, and may die before the damage is resolved.

A course of Sulmet or Corid should help.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, it sounds like cocci. You need Sulmet or Corid.

5. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Yep. Cocci.

I have alot of success with the liquid Corid (amprol 9.6 solution)
    You don't happen to have a good relationship with a vet who would do a fecal exam do you? My vet doesn't treat chickens, but he will let me bring in a fecal sample and for $15 give me a check for worms or Cocci. It's the same things they look for in dogs.

I would continue cocci treatment and give a small amount of active culture organic yogurt to them daily. Maybe also some poly-vi-sol baby vitamin drops without iron (1-2 drops 2 times a day on the side of their beaks) to try and get their stregnth up to fight this.

Good luck!

6. chamberchix

chamberchix New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to resume cocci treatment with the Amprol as well as yogurt, poly vi sol ( if I can find it), and change their organic finisher feed to a lesser protein scratch. I am going to assume that there is no need for antibiotics. Couple of quick questions; Sulmet over Amprol? Isolation vs. integration ( since they probably all need to be treated any way)? Again thank you and wish us luck!

7. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Quote:As far as isolation vs. integration goes; I would isolate the ones that seem very sick, cold, puffed up and are not eating....just so you can keep them warm and keep them in an environment where you can keep a close eye on them. If they all seem the same, you could keep them together. I would treat everyone though.

Sulmet vs. Amprol: Sulmet has an antibiotic in it too, and can be kind of harsh- at least that is my understanding. How strong is your Amprol? I think I mentioned before that I've used the liquid Corid which is amprol 9.6% with good luck.

You can find poly-vi-sol in most any store that carries vitamins. Even Wal-Mart. Make sure to get the no iron formula.

When one of my girls got very sick with confirmed cocci she lost her appetite and the only thing i could get her to eat was yogurt mixed with canned salmon.

And if you want to know for sure that you are dealing with cocci, see if you can find a vet that will do a fecal analysis.

Good luck!

8. chamberchix

chamberchix New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Here's an update for all those who are having problems like this as well. The second chicken that became ill also died. Very sad. We decided that another round of Amprol 128 was in order and treated the remaining three for two weeks. No problem....for about another month and then a third chicken started showing the same signs: drooping tail feathers, ruffled body feathers, gasping for air or trying to get something down her throat, lethargic, weight loss,drunk walking, and pale color. We resumed Amprol treatment again and then had to go away for three days. When we returned, our girl was prone and barely breathing. She could barely lift her head and had labored breathing. Of course we thought the worst and started to morn that night. I vowed that if she made it through the night I would do whatever I could to bring her back ( with in reason; that $7 pet dilemma). She made it through the night! Immediately started both a liquid diet ( hydrated chicken food, hydrated dry cat food, wet cat food, and Poly vi sol blended in a mini cuisinart) and vitamin enriched water ( water, poly vi sol, and apple cider vinegar, sprinkle of Amprol 128) given by syringe. I gave a dose of 5 ml food and 6 ml water every two to three hours with the goal of giving 40 ml or cc of food and atleast 40 ml of water.I was using a rinsed inkjet filler syringe which measures up to 10ml. Started treatment on a Wednesday. She was completely paralyzed and unable to do anything, not even to move her head. I continued this treatment for three days while doing continual research. I decide to treat the following: Coccidosis( already treated), Infection (from mycoplasms and other), and Gape neck worm. I figured what the heck go for broke because she's going to die anyway. On the following Saturday I got some Tetroxy HCA-280 antibiotic from the feed store. Did some fuzzy math that can out to 1/4 teaspoon per pint and added that to her water solution. Also bought Duramycin-10 just in case and ordered fenbendazole canine dewormer from Petmeds. Started with the anitbiotics on saturday. At this point the only improvement was that the chicken wasn't dead. On Sunday she was the same, nearly paralyzed. Continued with treatment until the following Saturday when I received the dewormer. By this time there was slight improvement in the movement. Still had to do everthing and was giving her a butt wash every couple days. Started the wormer treatment by mixing one 1 gram packet with 12 ml water. Proceeded to give 3 ml of dewormer once a day for three days in addition to the regular treatment. Then continued the treatment for another week. Finally started to see some real improvement. First she started to fight me a little when giving the syringe, then came the kicking, then less gasping, then she started standing. After 20 days of treatment we have reintroduced her to her sisters and she is now about 80-90%. I think we are out of the woods now but I'm ready if one of the other ones gets ill. I hope this helps.

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You are amazing! Just read through what you have done to try and help your flock - you MUST BE the best chicken carer of today at least!!! I hope that things keep improving - you deserve a positive outcome for all of your wonderful efforts....

Suzie
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by